Monday, November 15, 2010

Falling for Charlottesville




"I'm glad in God, far happier than you would ever guess—happy that you're again showing such strong concern for me. Not that you ever quit praying and thinking about me. You just had no chance to show it. Actually, I don't have a sense of needing anything personally. I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me—it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles." Philipians 4:10-14 (The Message)

Don't you love this translation of the "Whatsoever State" passage?  I latched on to this scripture very early in my Christian walk.  It has been a hallmark of my faith to be content with every circumstance.  The Lord gave that gift to me quickly, and I am so thankful.  I can find joy in such little things with the reminder of this passage.



This past week, we took advantage of the school break, and took the kids up to Charlottesville to see the leaves, and to see Montpelier (home of James and Dolley Madison).  The weather was gorgeous, the leaves and mountains stunning, and the house was beautiful.  TJ got to practice some country driving, and I got to play around with my camera some more.  What an amazing backdrop!

Even in such a beautiful scene, I was reminded to take life a little more slow.  To pay attention to the details.  Like stopping when the kids found interesting leaves, to look at the scenery they found interesting, play a round of volleyball with my girl.  I tend to get so busy "taking care" of everything that I don't get to enjoy "everything".  We rented a small cabin at a KOA campground, and had a ball cooking outside, and playing card games with the kids, and even Jay and I snuggling Zach (who had a hard time sleeping)- all three of us in a double bed!

I love that our God displays Himself in such obvious ways! Look around you, He is in creation. Such magnificence!






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I needed to be reminded to slow down and enjoy life instead of working so hard I miss everything! God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete