Saturday, September 18, 2010

Anthropophobia

Let's face it. I despise meeting new people.  Don't get me wrong. I love people.  I love friends. I just don't like making them.  I think the bigger fear is saying the wrong thing, or that awkward silence when you don't know what to say, but you should say something.

Thank God for Divine Intervention.

When we moved back to Virginia from Iowa, it was with hesitation.  I loved living in the mid-west, loved my kids' schools, loved the home we built there.  Little did I know, there was a little girl on East Plantation Road praying for a friend that loved Jesus (and who also happened to be a girl, and 6 years old).  That little girl is now a precious part of each day, and I can't imagine life without her.  Actually, Madison and Rachel became friends before her mom, Rhonda and I.  Rhonda has the same hesitation I have with meeting people, so lets just say it took us a few months to get together.  But boy, am I ever glad we are.


Rick and Rhonda are amazing neighbors. I thank God often for having them so near.  For the blessing of being able to depend on and trust them.  For knowing they are every day people who love God and want to parent in a strong way, like we do.

Last night Rhonda came walking down the road with Louie by her side.  I was so happy to call out, "Come in! Coffee is ready."  We chatted at the bar in the kitchen, watched the dogs chase each other, and flipped through the Justice catalogue with the girls and looked at Fall magazines.  When she was headed back to her house, I noticed the magazine lying open, with her cup half-filled with coffee. I thought, "What a treasure we have. Thank you, God."



I don't know how long we will live in this house. I can't tell you what next week, or next month or year will bring. But I do know that today, I am thankful for the people God has placed in my life- whether I was looking or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment